Sunday, June 12, 2016

Happy Service Sunday!

I'm back from my incredibly long break settling in to our new house.

I'm going to be doing a new thing on Sundays all about service. Check out the tab at the top of my blog for more info.

Father's Day is next week, as I'm sure you know. I was thinking about ways my husband and I could bring some happiness to the fathers who may be lonely. Mothers Day was actually pretty hard for me this year. Loss is very difficult to deal with, especially on days where you are constantly reminded. This made me think maybe others will experience the same sadness on Father's Day.

My husband and I live in the country, but there are still a couple of nursing homes here. I'm sure there is a nursing home in your town, or at least in your closest city where you get groceries. There are lots of men in nursing homes, and presumably a lot of them are fathers.

Even if they aren't fathers, everyone enjoys being shown love and respect. If you have children at home you could help them make Father's Day cards to pass out to the men at the nursing home. You can call the home and ask how many men they have, or if that is too many, maybe ask them for the number of men who do not have families close, or how many are in one wing. Once you have the number, get crafting! Then next Sunday deliver the cards with your family!

You don't need to visit with each gentleman, just saying "Happy Father's Day" will be perfect! Although people really love looking at children's drawings, you could always make cards yourself. I'm sure they would appreciate a lovely and more sophisticated card too.

Call and ask if you could come and sing a few songs, or go room to room on a specific wing and have a short visit with the members. Or you could ask when their common room time is and see if you can go play games, or help serve one of the meals.

Everyone likes to be remembered and thought of. Have any other great Father's Day ideas to serve the nursing homes in your community?

No comments:

Post a Comment